I just had to post something because now that I'm printing the blog and keeping it in a scrapbook format I wanted to remember today. Not that today was a good day but I feel like I am making steps toward being a good mom and well that's all that matters to me really!
Today I had a good friend and her kids over for a visit, it was late in the afternoon and it had been a good day. Hunter had gone to school and was in a good mood! The kids played well with eachother, no bickering arguing or jealousy, it was awesome! The kids all wanted to play the Wii so I started to get it out and Hunter had the main controller, I simply asked him to hand it to me so I could set it up. He proceeded to tell me he could do it and the battle begun. I didn't argue I just told him to hand it to me and he had a melt down. He threw the controller, stormed to the kitchen hitting anything in his way, even kicking the island in the kitchen.
Again calmly I went over there knelt down to his level and told him, either go to the corner or you will go to bed, even if your friends are here! He looked me straight in the face and told me NEVER! and proceeded to tell me I was the worst mom ever and that he hated me. Now this has happened before and believe me, those are the hardest words to hear your child say, but I know in my heart of hearts he didn't mean it! But he was still saying it and being disrespectful. After that I decided the rest of us had enough, and I took him to his room to cool off. I went back out and played wii with the other kids while he screamed in his room about wanting to play etc... This continued for about 10 minutes, he stopped and I went in and asked him if he knew why he was in there. He told me he knew that he slammed doors and said some mean stuff to me that he shouldn't have. Feeling accomplished I hugged him and told him let's go out now, but you aren't playing the wii. Well we all know what happens next, freak out number 2, amplified! lol. After his friends left I went in and laid with him in his bed, rubbed his back and told him I understand why he was mad but when he is these are the consequences etc... And guess who was asleep while I was talking??? lol
The whole point of this story is not how I disciplined my child, or anything like that.It is that, It is hard to stick to your guns when it comes to the ones you love and not give in, and even harder with your peers around you watching. I knew that the tantrum was worse because his friends were there, but it didn't matter to me, and I usually would have been embarassed for myself and my child in this situation with my closest friends watching. But today I felt empowered! I was proud that I stuck to my guns, and I know that Hunter wont remember this day for a minute, but maybe he'll remember that when his friends are over and he treats me like that there are consequences. And today I taught myself that it doesn't matter what other people think, it's about me and being a mom in the best way possible! I was very proud of myself I have to say.
To those of you who sticked through my ramblings thanks for listening, and to myself who is reading this post again in a later date wanting that same strength I had today, You can do it!
October 21, 2019 Here in New Jersey!
6 years ago
3 comments:
That is great! Good Job Heather!! Totally relate to EVERYTHING you wrote! You are a great mom!
I love you! I am glad that you shared this. I have these same struggles as you know we have the same child. LOL you are a great mom and I know that your boys are so lucky to have you!
You are an amazing mom who loves her kids more than anything and it shows!!
Post a Comment